Cryptocurrency firm Coinbase has tapped a former executive of TD Ameritrade to function as new president and chief operating officer (COO).
Asiff Hirji is taking over the said positions at Coinbase after advising portfolio companies for Andreessen Horowitz, one of its existing investors.
The firm led Coinbase’s $25 million funding round back in 2013, with the startup rearing over $200 million in venture capital to date.
Hirji is a distinguished hire for Coinbase, especially with the growing profile of its regulated cryptocurrency exchange and rising price of bitcoin.
He has had leadership roles for TD Ameritrade, including chief information officer, working for the brokerage giant in the early 2000s.
Hirji has also functioned in senior roles at TPG Capital and Bain Capital.
Also on his work portfolio are stints at Saxo Bank and Hewlett-Packard.
“I’m very excited to be a part of the company and look forward to helping realize its full potential,” Hirji said in a statement.
In a report, Hirji took note of the rise in movements around trading at the startup’s GDAX digital asset exchange.
He highlighted how buyers from “the Wall Street crowd” are sparking the action.
“This is no longer a fringe thing just for fan boys,” he said.
“The Wall Street crowd and traditional old guard in the financial world are jumping in as well.”
- Already Bought Your First Bitcoin? Be Ready for the Fees 19 December 2017
- UK Financial Watchdog FCA to Keep Close Eye on ICOs 19 December 2017
- Hedge Fund Pro Bill Miller Admits Half of Investments Already in Bitcoin 19 December 2017
- CFTC Creates New Information Hub for Cryptocurrencies 19 December 2017
- France Calls for Discussions on Bitcoin Regulation 19 December 2017